Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 6 - 2013

What?!! It can't be day 6 already! Our time here has flown by and is quickly coming to an end. While I'm sure everyone in the group is like me and ready to see their families, it is a little sad to think about leaving so soon. Like always, I think the blessings that we receive by being here far outweigh the work we do. Again, it is hard to put into words, but I can easily see why people like Ricky come back year after year. The Honduran people are so warm, welcoming, and appreciative of any help we offer. While most people we encounter have so few "things" by U.S. standards, they make the most out of everything that they do have. They inspire me to be less wasteful but most importantly more content and appreciative of the gifts that God has given me. 

We started our day today by finishing up construction on Yobani's house. Our team made quick work of the roof, electrical, concrete, and finishing touches. 
Here is a picture of the proud family with their new home. Oh, and to clarify yesterday's post, Yobani only has 9 kids not 12 :)
Once again, the family generously provided lunch for all. Today's meal was tamales - they were great!
After lunch, Carlos took us to an old gold mine close to the Valley of the Angels. I think I understood that it stopped production sometime in the 1950s. We drove a couple miles up the mountain and then hiked for another quarter mile or so. The road was extremely rough, but the scenery was beautiful! It reminded me so much of hiking to some waterfalls around Gatlinburg. 
Tomorrow morning, we will meet with Carlos to determine how we will distribute the food bags. Then, we will start making preparations for the trip home. 












No comments:

Post a Comment